Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Bento 001: Pre-Op Lunch Packing

Omg. I did it. My first bento. I couldn't wait until after surgery, I just had to give it a shot. Today's lunch is...



Top compartment (SNACKS): smoked string cheese, marinated egg, watermelon cut into little flower shapes
Bottom compartment (PROPER LUNCH) : Romaine Salad with Shrimp & marinated egg - with a little shaved red onion and a mini container of white wine vinegar.

As you can see I packed 2 eggs. - Mostly because I tried a new egg marinade last night, and it's absolutely PERFECT!

1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp sriracha
1 tbsp elderflower jelly

You could make it with apricot, peach, or grape jelly. (not strawberry, blueberry, or raspberry) It adds a pop of natural sweetness that is a fantastic complement to the salty and spicy. The yolks are soft and gelled, not opaque and fully cooked. It's definitely my favorite part of this lunch box. I wish I had packed more of them - but that's head hunger, not physical hunger. Trying to get mentally used to smaller portions is really f*ing hard.

The salad looks pretty but the shrimp are kinda terrible. I bought them pre-cooked at Fresh Market and they taste dirty. Next time I'm doing it myself. Ugh. The rest at home are definitely going to be dog food. yuck. On the bright side, one of those little soy sauce containers held the perfect amount of vinegar for a light oil-free salad.

Verdict: Snack compartment was awesome, delicious, and I ate it too fast. Main lunch compartment was terrible thanks to bad shrimp - but improved with bonus egg. Didn't eat 70% of salad. C+





No comments:

Post a Comment